The Delhi High Court on Friday allowed tehbazari licensed vendors at Sewa Nagar's Prabhu Market in South Delhi to resume their business. Justice Hima Kohli passed the order on a bunch of petitions by a group of vendors of the market challenging their eviction by the Municipal Corporation of Delhi on April 29.
Justice Kohli said the vendors shall not be removed from the place till disposal of their petitions. The matter will now come up for hearing on August 18.
The petitioners submitted that the civic body had evicted them without issuing prior notices. They were not even given time to collect and shift their wares to safer places which resulted in huge economic losses to them, the petitioners alleged.
They said that the local body had granted them tehbazari licences to set up their shops in the market following a direction by the Supreme Court in 2001. They had been doing business there since then without any disturbance except during the Commonwealth Games when they had stopped putting up shops in the market on a request of the civic body for security reasons, the petitioners said.
They had resumed their business there on conclusion of the Games till the time when the civic body all of a sudden came and started evicting them with their wares without any prior intimation.
Before moving the Court, the petitioners had approached the Deputy Commissioner of the zone as well as the Mayor but no action was taken, the petition said.
The local body in its submission said that it had evicted them from the market as they had built some permanent structures and with a view to shift them to some other place as the gathering of shoppers in the market created congestion in the area.
However, the Court dismissed the plea after verifying the facts.