Delhi Chief Secretary Rakesh Mehta on Wednesday said action would be initiated against those found responsible for the collapse of the foot over-bridge near Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium.
A two-member panel had on Tuesday blamed the collapse on a design flaw, faulty style of construction and lack of proper supervision.
Addressing a press conference, Mr. Mehta said the Government was examining the report submitted by the Inquiry Committee comprising H.S. Dogra, Advisor (Transport), Delhi Government and Ashok Gupta, Prof. (Civil Engineering) at Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi.
Stating that action on the report was the next logical step, the Chief Secretary said it has pointed to three critical areas relating to “change in original design, supervisory issues and time factor''.
Mr. Mehta said the Delhi Government would also ask the U.K.-based company Macalloy – which had refused to reply to the Committee on the incident -- to answer questions pertaining to the collapse of the bridge.
The 95-metre-long FOB was being constructed at a cost of Rs 10.35 crore and out of this about Rs 7 crore had been paid to the various contractors for the works when the collapse took place on September 21.
The two-member committee had also accused the Public Works Department of “supervisory failure''.
However, the Department officials on Wednesday claimed that the work was actually being supervised by engineers of the Central Public Works Department who had been sent to the PWD on deputation for the Games.