A 10-year-old boy died at the Lady Hardinge Medical College and Associated Hospitals campus here after an accidental fall into a large open pit on Wednesday evening. Though he was immediately rushed to hospital, he could not be saved.

Angered by his death, the hospital staff has demanded that the authorities order a probe into the mishap and fix responsibility.

“The family should be compensated and measures must be put in place to ensure that mishaps of this nature do not occur on the campus again,” said a hospital employee.

“We are in a state of shock and have submitted a memorandum to the hospital administration to ensure that the extensive construction work that is happening on the campus as part of the comprehensive redevelopment plan is carried out in a planned and responsible manner. More lives should not be lost due to sheer negligence,” said V.S. Dhaiya, a member of the hospital staff association.

“The child was the grandson of a hospital employee who is posted in the mortuary and had fallen into the pit that was left open by the construction company. The child was admitted to the ICU of Kalawati Saran Hospital but could not be saved. Earlier too the Residents' Welfare Association of Telegraph Square had complained about the callous attitude of the construction company which was causing a lot of inconvenience and posing danger to the residents,” said a letter submitted by the hospital employees association.

The association has demanded that “an FIR be lodged against the officials of the hospital and the company responsible for the death of the child, adequate compensation to the tune of Rs. 10 lakhs should be given to the parents of the deceased and the company should be blacklisted and the officers of the hospital who are deputed to check/supervise all the construction be instructed to take all possible care in the interest of the residents and even patients of the hospitals”.