Woman attacked as she resisted robbery bid, say police

A 45-year-old babysitter was found dead at her employer's house in Uttam Nagar in West Delhi while the toddler she used to take care of was found injured by her side on Thursday evening.

According to police, investigations have revealed that the woman and the toddler were attacked when the woman resisted a robbery bid at the house.

The victim has been identified as Inderjeet Singh, a resident of Hari Nagar. She was employed by Arvinder Singh (32) and Amarpreet (27) at their house in Rama Park.

The woman was alone in the house with the toddler at the time of the incident. Her employers were in their office like other days. “The incident came to light when Mr. Singh and his wife returned home from office at 7-45 p.m.,” said a police officer.

The main door of the house was ajar when Arvinder and Amarpreet arrived. Fearing the worst, the couple rushed inside the house and went inside the bedroom where they found Inderjeet lying in a pool of blood with a head injury. Their son was unconscious and had sustained injures. The couple immediately raised an alarm. Hearing their cries, neighbours gathered outside the house and informed the police.

“Inderjeet and the boy were taken to Mata Chanan Devi Hospital, where Inderjeet was declared brought dead,” the officer added. The boy’s condition is stated to be stable and he is undergoing treatment.

On Friday, Inderjeet’s body was handed over to the family after post-mortem. After an initial probe, police said that the killer gained friendly entry into the house.

“We have not found any evidence of forced entry or of any door or window being broken,” the officer said.

The police said it was possible that the house was ransacked to mislead the investigation. A case of murder and robbery has been lodged with Uttam Nagar police station, and investigators hope to ascertain the time-frame during which Inderjeet was killed with the help of the post-mortem report.

  • The incident came to light when parents of the child reached home after office

  • The child’s condition is stated to be stable and is undergoing treatment