"No regularisation, no new plans"
NEW DELHI: Opposition Bharatiya Janata Party councillors on Monday accused the Congress-ruled Municipal Corporation of Delhi of harassing the Capital's citizens by neither regularising their unauthorised constructions nor passing the new building plans as per the Centre's new notification pertaining to new building by-laws.
Raising the issue at the MCD House meeting, Leader of the Opposition Subhash Arya said changes were made in the building by-laws by the Centre through its September 22 notification. It not only relaxed the building by-laws but also allowed regularisation of unauthorised constructions as per new norms, he said.
However, more than two months had passed since the notification was issued but not a single building plan had been sanctioned by the civic body, stalling all construction activities in the city and forcing people to run from pillar to post to get their building plans sanctioned, Mr. Arya alleged. Through its September 22 notification the Centre has relaxed building by-laws allowing more floors and additional floor area ratio besides fixing regularisation charges for unauthorised constructions.
Similarly, senior BJP Councillor Vijender Gupta lambasted the Congress for its failure to give relief to people. "While the Congress-ruled Centre is claiming that it has relaxed the building by-laws, the reality is that not a single building plan has been sanctioned for over two months since the notification was issued. Similarly, people are still awaiting to regularise additional constructions in their properties," he added.
BJP Councillors also shouted anti-Congress slogans in the House forcing adjournment of the meeting.
However, Municipal Commissioner A. K. Nigam stated that there were certain issues regarding the new building by-laws that needed to be clarified with the Centre. There was delay in receiving the reply that led to problems in passing new building plans.