Staff Reporter

Case registered against six RSS activists

KOLLAM: S. Ajayaprasad, Students Federation of India (SFI) leader who was brutally hacked by a six-member bike-borne gang on Thursday evening at Klapana, near Karunagapally, succumbed to his injuries at the Thiruvananthapuram Medical College Hospital (MCH) on Friday morning.

Ajayaprasad, 23, was joint secretary of the SFI’s Karunagapally area committee. Tension prevailed in the Klapana area following the death. A huge police posse was posted there. The Ochira police registered a case against six persons, allegedly Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) activists, on charges of murder. They were identified as Sreenath, Sanal, Sunil, Sivaraman, Rajesh and Sabin. All of them were at large, the police said. The SFI observed a hartal in Karunagapally taluk on Friday. Most of the educational institutions in the district remained closed.

After conducting an autopsy at the MCH, the body of Ajayaprasad was brought to the CPI(M) district committee office here in the evening for the public to pay their last respects.

Among those who paid their last respects were B. Raghavan, MLA, CPI (M) district secretary K. Rajagopal, Kollam Mayor N. Padmalochanan and Kerala State Cashew Development Corporation chairman E. Kasim. The body was also kept at the Karunagapally area committee office of the party. The last rites were performed at the compound of Ajayaprasad’s house late in the evening.

On Thursday evening, when Ajayaprasad was doing some shopping at Klapana, a six-member gang on three motorcycles arrived there and hacked him. He suffered serious injuries on the head, chest and hand. Though some local people made attempts to rush to his rescue, the gang whipped out country bombs and threatened them.

The local people took Ajayaprasad to the Karunagapally taluk hospital and from there he was taken to the MCH.

The police said that Ajayaprasad had earned the wrath of the ABVP-RSS combine for playing a role in the elections held at a local higher secondary school, where the SFI claimed victory.