SEARCH

RSP: Left and democratic alternative move belated

Special Correspondent
print   ·   T  T  
T.J. Chandrachoodan says the proposal will result in compromises of the worst kind.
T.J. Chandrachoodan says the proposal will result in compromises of the worst kind.

Revolutionary Socialist Party (RSP) general secretary T.J. Chandrachoodan has described the resolve of the Communist Party of India (Marxist) to forge a Left and democratic alternative as a thought that has come too late in the day and which means little given the fact that there is no Left front at the national level.

Prof. Chandrachoodan told a press conference here on Monday that the Left front had ceased to exist when the RSP and the Forward Bloc refused to toe the line of the CPI(M) in offering support to a Congress government at the Centre to be led by Sonia Gandhi. His party had put forward the proposal for a Left and democratic alternative much before that at the 12{+t}{+h}party congress of the RSP. But this was rejected at the time by the CPI(M).

The RSP general secretary said the proposal for a Left and democratic alternative, as mooted by the CPI(M), would result only in compromises of the worst kind with regional parties which had their own agenda. The RSP had for long been pleading for a Left alternative at the national level, which would also embrace the extremist groups. Its efforts in this direction were foiled by the CPI(M), which did not wish to have anything to do with groups such as the Maoists.

Maoists had grown as a force to reckon with because of the mainstream Left's failure to defend the rights of the marginalised sections. Similarly, apolitical actors such as Anna Hazare had taken the centre stage only because of the Left's withdrawal from campaigns against corruption, he pointed out.

Flays Chandy

Prof. Chandrachoodan came down heavily on Chief Minister Oommen Chandy accusing him of having communalised even the allocation of portfolios. As much as 65 per cent of the Budget allocation was being handled by representatives of the Kerala Congress (Mani) and the IUML and Congress Ministers had only the remaining 35 per cent to deal with. By surrendering before the two parties, the Chief Minister had become a sitting duck in the ruling alliance and the government.

More In: KERALA | NATIONAL

O
P
E
N

close

Recent Article in KERALA

No nod for project: V. Muraleedharan

National Democratic Alliance (NDA) government will not give clearance for the Aranmula greenfield airport ignoring the stiff public resis... »