Staff Reporter

PALAKKAD: Communist Party of India (CPI) State secretary Veliyam Bhargavan has said there are no differences in the Left Democratic Front (LDF) over implementing the Special Economic Zone (SEZ) in the State.

Talking to mediapersons here on Saturday, the CPI leader said the unanimous decision taken by the LDF was approved by the Cabinet and 13 conditions were put forward for its implementation that included the enforcement of labour laws in the industrial units set up in SEZ.

Since getting huge area of land was a problem in Kerala, the SEZ should be allowed for production units, and 70 per cent of the land should be utilised for the purpose for which SEZ status was given and the remaining 30 per cent could be utilised for housing and other infrastructure facilities, he said.

He denied having said that there would be a ‘revolt’ if SEZ was implemented in the State. What he said was that if SEZ was implemented without implementing the labour and others laws as done in other States, it would be opposed by the working class.

He said the CPI would welcome SEZ and the industrial units in it if they agreed to the 13 conditions.

More In: KERALA | NATIONAL