Minister for Social Welfare and Panchayats M.K. Muneer will perform the district-level inauguration of the Non-Communicable Disease Prevention (NCDP) programme of the Department of Health at the Collectorate conference hall at 11.30 a.m. on Saturday.

A free diabetes and blood pressure-detection camp will be held on the occasion.

The NCDP has started functioning in five selected districts since April 2012.

The programme is organised to tackle lifestyle diseases such as diabetes, blood pressure, cardiac attack and obesity. The major objectives of the programme is to offer medical assistance to those above 30 years of age with any of these diseases and offer guidance to others who have chances of developing such ailments.

Free medical help will be available for those with lifestyle diseases in any primary health centre or district hospital. Treatment facilities will be available at all sub-centres on Tuesday afternoons, public health centres on Wednesday mornings, and at taluk hospitals six days a week.

Apart from the existing staff, specially trained personnel have been deployed at the centres.

The programme will be funded 80 per cent by the Union government, while the State government will take care of the remaining 20 per cent, nodal officer of the project M.K. Appunni said.

More In: KERALA | NATIONAL