Complaints of looting after the massacre in 2003
KOZHIKODE: Leader of the Opposition V.S. Achuthanandan, on Saturday, demanded a judicial investigation into complaints about large-scale looting alleged to have taken place after the massacre of nine persons at Marad village on May 2, 2003.
Earlier in the day, Mr. Achuthanandan inaugurated a dharna, organised by the Marad Action Council, in front of the Civil Station here. The council had organised the protest in support of its demand for compensation to families who had lost their valuables in the alleged looting after they fled the village fearing an attack from supporters of those killed in the massacre.
Demanding the judicial investigation, Mr. Achuthanandan told presspersons that it was clear from an answer given by the Government in the Assembly, to a question by V.K.C. Mammed Koya, MLA, that it was in no mood to pay damages.
The Government had replied that 137 cases of looting, alleged in the complaints lodged with the police, had been found undetectable and 24 had turned out to be false during investigation.
Mr. Achuthanandan said the reply showed that the case was not properly investigated, and the police would not be able to conduct a fair investigation. He demanded a time-bound, judicial investigation to ensure that compensation was paid to the victims.
When his attention was drawn to protests by Marad Araya Samajam against payment of compensation, Mr. Achuthanandan said the Government should not be cowed down by threats from the Bharatiya Janata Party and its supporters.
He also demanded that the Government pay compensation for losses suffered by boat owners whose vessels were destroyed in an explosion at the Beypore port on September 17. The police investigation had not found the culprits. Since the boat owners and its workers had been deprived of their livelihood, the Government should pay damages, he added.