Two children sustain head injuries as protesters attack car

The 48-hour strike called by Central trade unions threw life out of gear on Thursday.

Activities started in the city and suburbs only by evening as more private vehicles started plying the National and State highways. Small shops opened at some places.

Isolated incidents of violence were reported in the city. Eight persons, including two children, were injured when a group of strike supporters blocked a car transporting a family to the airport, at Puthiyanirathu, near Elathur, around 3.30 p.m. The children, Nasel, 7, and Rehna Fathima, 5, sustained head injuries when the car was pelted with stones.

The protesters smashed the windshield of the vehicle and assaulted the driver, the police said.

The protesters, around 20 of them, in an inebriated state, attacked the vehicle proceeding from Koothuparamba in Kannur district. The injured were initially taken to the Government Beach Hospital and later shifted to a private hospital in the city.

“The protesters thrashed me when I went to get assistance from a nearby house as my children were profusely bleeding. If the police had not reached the scene they would have killed us,” said C.P. Kabir, their father.

The Elathur police registered a case in connection with the incident.

In the morning, a group of strike supporters assaulted a security staff attached to the Non-Residents Keralites’ Affairs Department and attempted to barge into the office functioning on Link Road. The Panniyankara police arrested Sunil Babu, A.T. Ishaq, P.P. Rashid, and M.T. Mohammed Hanifa, on the charge of assault and for using abusive language. The accused were released on bail.

Strike supporters locked up in a room the Principal and some teachers at Government Vocational Higher Secondary School at Payyanakkal at 10.45 a.m. The police arrived and released them. The Panniyankara police registered a case. No one was arrested.

The Mukkum police arrested K. Rajeesh on the charge of attacking a person at Kodiyathur. A group on four motorbikes had attacked the victim for filing a police complain the previous day. Autorickshaws, taxis and buses kept off the road in the district. Commercial establishments remained closed. Attendance was thin at government offices.