KOZHIKODE: In the hustle and bustle of hectic construction activity, one more prominent landmark in the heart of the city, so familiar to old-timers, will soon be part of history.
The spacious bungalow, for years, the residence of the works manager of the Commonwealth Trust, a tile and hosiery manufacturer, will soon vanish.
The bungalow, in the heart of the city, overlooking the historic Mananchira tank, and adjacent to two other equally historical buildings, the Crown Theatre and the Town Hall, is in the process of being demolished after the property changed hands.
The bungalow was built as part of the Commonwealth factory complex when the weaving unit was established by the Basel Mission in 1844 after it introduced the latest weaving and tile technology in Malabar to provide employment to converts.
After the outbreak of the First World War, the industrial assets of the Basel Mission were taken over by the British Government, and placed under the Commonwealth Trust. The trust has since been Indianised. Another prominent landmark in the city, on Wayanad Road, which too has changed hands, is to disappear soon: the Dr. Hermon's Clinic, a refuge for the sick, especially the poor among them.
Hermon's Clinic need no introduction to rickshaw pullers and horse-cart drivers of yesteryear, as they had frequented the place with their clients in the Fifties and Sixties.
Hermon's Clinic, started by Robert Hermon, was one of the first private medical clinics in Kozhikode, with the other being Karunakara Pharmacy.
Dr. Hermon, an ordained priest, had treated the sick with a missionary zeal. The sick from Wayanad were provided inpatient care..
After Dr. Hermon's death, his son Joe Hermon, who passed away last year, took over the management of the clinic, and had successfully carried on practice for more than five decades .