At least 50 students staying at the university hostel on the Karyavattom campus were rushed to the Government Medical College Hospital on Tuesday night after some of them swooned and some others complained of nausea and vomiting, due to alleged food poisoning. The students developed uneasiness a few minutes after they ate dinner.

Medical college authorities said the condition of none of the students was serious and a majority of them recovered after they took medicines.

Kazhakuttom police said around 120 students took dinner from the hostel mess and around 50 students complained of uneasiness. Adequate arrangements had been made to take all the 120 students to the hospital for check-up.

Food Safety Joint Commissioner Anil Kumar K. told The Hindu that he had directed the District Food Safety Officer to inspect the food items served at the hostel to find whether the sudden illness was caused by food poisoning.

More In: KERALA | NATIONAL