Mastermind behind the explosions not identified
Kozhikode: Special squads of the Crime Branch's Criminal Investigation Department, Special Investigation Group (III), have started investigations into the March 3 twin blasts at the Kerala State Road Transport Corporation (KSRTC) and mofussil bus stations in the city.
Officials said here on Wednesday that the case files had been transferred from the local police stations, under the City Police Commissioner, to the Crime Branch office. The Deputy Superintendent of Police D. Rajan is heading the squads.
Special teams of the city police had interrogated nearly 300 people in the two blast cases registered at Nadakkavu and Kasaba police stations. However, no one has been arrested.
Investigation officers had not been able to obtain clues about the mastermind behind the blasts at these bus stations on Mavoor Road.
The first blast occurred at the KSRTC bus station around 12.45 p.m. and the second bomb went off at 1.10 p.m. Two persons, including a constable, were injured in the first explosion. Bomb squads and forensic experts had concluded that timer-devices had been used for the explosions.
Although the special teams of the city police initially made progress in collecting evidence, the investigations slowed down, triggering suspicion about interference of politicians.
Later, Assistant Commissioner of Police (District Crime Records Bureau) T.F. Xavier was entrusted with the investigations. It was said that extremist outfits operating in north Kerala had planned the explosions, possibly to create panic among people before the Assembly elections.
The bombs went off after the District Collectorate and a newspaper office received anonymous calls warning that the explosives had been planted at the bus stations.
Officials suspect that the case has links with a powerful explosion at the Beypore fishing harbour in September and seizure of 45 gelignite sticks from the cloakroom of the KSRTC bus station in the first week of January.