Special Correspondent

Kochi: The Kerala High Court on Friday issued notice to K. Suresh Kumar, Munnar Special Task Force (STF) Officer, Ratnan Khelkhar, Sub-Collector, Devicolam and V.V. Ramadas, Tahasildar, Devicolam, on a contempt of court petition filed by the owners of Dhanyasree Yathri Nivas for disobeying the stay order against the demolition of the resort. The petitioners pointed out that though there was a stay order, the STF had demolished a portion of the resort. The petitioners said that when the petition challenging the cancellation of the pattayams came up, the court allowed the Government to take possession of the hotel on July 12. However, it had made it clear that the building should not be demolished until further orders were passed in the case. The petitioners alleged that by disobeying the court directive, the officials had caused damage to the building. The action of the officials amounted to contempt of court. The petitioners sought to initiate contempt of court proceedings against the revenue officials.

Tata Tea petition

Justice S. Siri Jagan on Friday avoided hearing a petition filed by Tata Tea Limited challenging the order of the Idukki District Collector saying that no value be paid to the company for taking over 2.9 hectares of land in Letchmi estate in Munnar for the Kerala State Electricity Board’s Pullivasal Extension Scheme.

Police pulled up

Justice R. Basant on Friday pulled up the police for not properly investigating the case relating to the seizure of the hawala money from motor cyclists in Chalakudy on March 23, 2007.

Dismissing an anticipatory bail petition filed by Vipin and K.D. Thomas, fourth and tenth accused respectively in the case, the court directed the Director General of Prosecutions to take immediate steps to ensure that the case was investigated by a competent hand. He also asked the Director General to file a report on this before August 20.

The case was that on a tip-off, the Chakudy Sub-Inspector had intercepted a motorcycle and found huge amount of cash with the riders. It was revealed on interrogation that it was party of the booty. The accused had earlier waylaid a car carrying cash of Rs.40 lakh hawala cash on the airport road connecting National Highway 17 and National Highway 213.

This area came under the purview of the Kondotty police. The court noted that the Kondotty police came to know about the attack on the car only when the Chalakudy police informed them about the incident. The court said that it was shocked to note that the local police had no clue about the incident until the Chalakudy police arrested the accused.

It was difficult to assume that no such information was received at the Kondotty police station.

The damaged car had remained in the same spot for three hours.

Besides, the other accused who obtained anticipatory bail did not comply with the conditions set by the High Court.

However, the investigation officer had not taken any action against the accused who failed to fulfil the conditions, the court observed.