G. Mahadevan

No personal interview scheduled this time

  • Plea to hold personal interview before preparing rank list
  • `Colleges should take turns in hosting aptitude test'

    THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: The conduct of the entrance examinations for admission to the Bachelor of Fine Arts programme in three colleges in the State by the Directorate of Technical Education (DTE) has come in for criticism from students and fine arts educators.

    Students of the Fine Arts College, Thiruvananthapuram have demanded that the entrance examination be conducted at one of the three colleges and the practice of conducting a personal interview before preparing the BFA rank list be restored.

    This year's entrance examination for admission to the BFA programme at the colleges of Fine Art in Thiruvananthapuram, Mavelikara and Thrissur began on Friday at the College of Engineering Thiruvananthapuram. Like last year there is no personal interview scheduled this time.

    Till 2004 the entrance examination (the aptitude test) to the BFA programme was held at the College of Fine Arts Thiruvananthapuram. Any candidate who scored 40 per cent marks in this examination was called for a personal interview that carried 20 marks.

    Suggestions sought

    On February 5, 2005 the Government wrote to the DTE letter number 30418/j1/01/H.Edn to find out whether any changes were required in the procedure for admission to the BFA programme. Officials at the DTE's office told The Hindu that suggestions were sought from the principals of all three Fine Arts Colleges. "One suggestion was to rotate the venue of the test among the three colleges.

    `Prone to malpractice'

    After discussions it was decided to entrust the conduct of the test to the department of Architecture at the CET; an independent body. "It was decided to do away with the interview because we felt that the process may be prone to malpractice and that there might be complaints later on. Moreover no entrance examination in the State has an interview component," a DTE official said.

    The University of Kerala in its letter ACB1/2418/05 dated February 7, 2005 had suggested that the aptitude test be held for four subjects. The letter made no reference to an interview, the official added.

    The principal of the College of Fine Arts Thiruvananthapuram S. Ajayakumar disputes this claim by the office of the DTE and points out that on July 1 this year the University Registrar in his letter Ac.A.IV/1/023379/06 had written to the DTE about the conduct of the aptitude test.

    "That letter clearly states that the rank list be finalised on the day of the examination itself after the interview is over," Mr. Ajayakumar said.

    The principal of the Raja Ravi Varma College of Fine Arts, Mavelikara E. Abdul Hamid is also of the view that the DTE was wrong to have done away with the personal interview.

    "Though the entrance examination of 2005 held at the CET was fault-free, I think that the fine arts colleges should take turns hosting the aptitude test.

    When the test was held at the college at Thiruvananthapuram they used to get all the good candidates and we, the less talented ones," he said.

    The DTE S.K. Mohan told The Hindu that while no one can fault the way in which his office was conducting the aptitude tests, any changes could always be effected if the Government so desired.

    More In: KERALA | NATIONAL