Arun Bhaskar, assistant divisional officer, Fire and Rescue Services, has cautioned residents and managements of commercial and government establishments against overloading the power system without adequate fire protection safeguards.
Speaking at a National Safety Week programme organised by The Hindu at its printing press at Kakkanchery near here on Thursday, Mr. Bhaskar said the tendency to add air-conditioners, computers, and other equipment without strengthening the power supply system had been found to be a common cause of fire at houses and establishments. His department had detected such a problem even at the Government Dental College in Kozhikode.
Not installing circuit breakers and waste containing oil and paint were other common causes and sources of fire that his department often dealt with. Mr. Bhaskar also underlined the importance of creating a sound awareness of handling LPG cylinders since cooking gas cylinders, if not handled with care, could cause serious damage to life and property.