Special Correspondent

Total boycott of courts being considered

Support of lawyers, clerks from Kollam, Pathanamthitta to be enlisted

Bar council president rubbishes reports of internal differences

Thiruvananthapuram: The action council spearheading the agitation for a High Court Bench in the State capital has decided to intensify its stir from July 14.

Efforts were on to enlist the support of lawyers and court clerks from Kollam and Pathanamthitta districts in the next phase of the agitation.

Action council chairman and Thiruvananthapuram Bar Association president C.K. Sitaram said here on Saturday that tough measures including a total boycott of courts by lawyers were being considered. Various sub committees had been constituted to chalk out an action plan, he said.

Mr. Sitaram said lawyers in Thiruvananthapuram had boycotted courts to protest the arrest of lawyers and the deployment of police, along with water cannon and tear gas, on the premises of the district court at Vanchiyoor on June 10.

The boycott was called off on June 18 following a decision by the general body meeting of the council. Refuting reports that the stir had fizzled out due to differences within the action council, Mr. Sitaram said they were baseless and motivated.

He added that the Bar Association and the action council were working out a joint strategy to intensify the agitation from July 14.

Mr. Sitaram warned that lawyers and court clerks would see through the efforts by vested interests to defeat the stir. “We will take it forward with more public involvement,” he said.

The action council said it had received a letter from the Indian Medical Association pledging support for the agitation.

Meanwhile, the indefinite relay hunger strike in front of the district court entered the 127th day on Saturday.

More In: KERALA | NATIONAL