‘We just want to know the truth’

Special Correspondent
print   ·   T  T  

They have sought Centre’s help for a probe into son’s death

Helpless:Likhith’s parents have sought the Centre’s help to conduct a probe into his death.— Photo: V. Sreenivasa Murthy
Helpless:Likhith’s parents have sought the Centre’s help to conduct a probe into his death.— Photo: V. Sreenivasa Murthy

Parents of city boy, Likhith Shashidhar, who died under mysterious circumstances in University of Siegen in Germany, have sought the Union government’s intervention to conduct a detailed probe into his death.

“It’s over 20 days since we learnt about his death, but we are still waiting for a detailed report from Germany to know the reason for it,” Ms. Siddalingamma, the grieving mother of Likhith, told mediapersons in Bangalore on Thursday.

“Apart from oral statements, there is no proof to confirm what happened to Likhith. We don’t know whether he committed suicide or was murdered,” said Ms. Siddalingamma.

She added that although the University of Siegen claims that he was undergoing treatment for depression, they have not provided any documentary proof to substantiate this.

“The post-mortem should have been done in about two to three days and the investigation reports should have been out in the next couple of days. Why has the report not been sent to us so far,” she asked.

“We have received an extract of the death register along with the mortal remains, but the cause of death has been left blank. We want to know why,” she said, adding that if the post-mortem has been done, why hasn’t the report been handed over to them. “His personal belongings — mobile and laptop — are crucial to the investigationsAre they protected and where are they now?” she said.

Likhith’s father, Shashidhar S.V., said their son had talked to them on January 6 from Germany and he was happy. “He talked to us about coming home soon and getting permission from the university for this. The next day he told his relatives in Germany that he had spoken to the university about this. The next we hear is that he was found dead,” his sister, Lekha said, adding, “We believe something happened in the next 24 to 36 hours that led to his death.”

However, friends and relatives with whom Likhith was in touch with said there was some trouble with his seniors in college, the mother claimed. “I do not want to blame anybody unnecessarily. I just want to know the truth about what happened to my son.”




Recent Article in KARNATAKA

Lottery scam probe may spread to South

The investigation into the single-digit lottery scam in Karnataka, in which allegations of involvement of a senior IPS officer have come... »