A turf war between two men, who headed rival prostitution rackets in Majestic and surrounding areas, ended in one allegedly abducting and murdering the other. The police, who claim to have secured a confession from the principal accused, have detained seven persons.

According to the Rajagopalnagar police, Govinda (25) and Munna (30) had been running a prostitution racket and escort service using autorickshaw driving as a cover. As they operated in the same areas, there was always an intense rivalry between the two. This turned into enmity after Govinda started poaching Munna's sex workers, leading to gang wars.

When the tensions reached a boil, Munna allegedly hatched a plot with one Venu, who also ran a prostitution racket in the same area. On May 21, these two along with 10 hired goons, abducted Govinda from Magadi Road and took him to a farmhouse near Aladamara Doddi village in Bidadi. They clubbed him to death on May 23 and dumped his body in a nearby lake, the police said.

The body was found by local people and the Bidadi police buried it as an unidentified body. Govinda's parents, who had lodged a missing complaint with the Rajagopalnagar police, would never have found their son's remains had it not been for a few tip-offs that led the police to Munna.

Betting racket busted

The special squad constituted by Commissioner of Police Jyothi Prakash Mirji raided a house in Srinagar late on Friday and busted a betting racket, which led to the arrest of one person.

According to an official release issued on Saturday, Mohan Kumar and Jagadish Chamrajpet were bookies running the illegal betting business centred around IPL cricket matches using electronic communication devices from their house. Their business came to light when people who had placed bets and won were not paid. These persons tipped off the police, said sources.

While Mohan Kumar was arrested, Jagadish managed to give the police the slip. The raiding party recovered Rs. 69,000 in cash and seized all the electronic gadgets on the premises. A case has been registered against the accused at the Hanumanthanagar Police Station.