Staff Correspondent

It will be distributed through HOPCOM outlets

  • Wholesale vegetable market suffered a loss of Rs. 5 lakh
  • ATMs ran out of cash forcing customers to wait for long time

    MANGALORE: Government has made arrangements to supply three truckloads of vegetables from Bangalore. The trucks will arrive here on Tuesday morning. It will be distributed through HOPCOM outlets here, according to official sources.

    Meanwhile, panic buying of essential commodities continued for the second day in Mangalore, and long queues were seen outside most shops.

    But even as citizens were found in large numbers in the market when the curfew was relaxed between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. on Monday, commodities were in short supply.

    Central market was teeming with people who had come to purchase vegetables and fruits. Residents who came after 11.30 am had to return disappointed, as supplies had run out.

    Hamid Kandak, president of the Central Market Merchants' Association, said it was after four days that four truckloads of fruits and vegetables arrived in the city on Monday.

    Of this, two loads had to be supplied to temples and hostels alone. The rest of the load was sold out. Most of the fruits and vegetables were spoilt in the previous load that arrived on Wednesday. The wholesale vegetable market suffered a loss of Rs. 5 lakh as a result of the curfew and the bandhs that preceded it, he said.

    Prices have increased by about Rs. 2 or Rs. 3 as a result of increased transport costs, as vehicles from Bangalore had to enter the city through Kerala.

    Not having labourers to unload fruits and vegetables that had arrived was another problem. A request to the district administration to provide them facilities to unload the vehicles was not heeded to, he said.

    Milk supply in several areas was affected. As many shop owners collected milk packets on their own, milk prices shot up. In several areas, a litre of milk that usually costs Rs. 13 cost as much as Rs. 25 to Rs.30.

    A rush of people at ATM's saw these facilities run out of cash. Several private banks were forced to make customers wait for nearly twenty minutes, before money could be withdrawn.

    There was a rush of passengers at the KSRTC bus stand, especially to go to Bangalore. Sources in KSRTC said all buses to the capital were filled to full capacity.