SEARCH

Three godowns gutted

print   ·   T  T  
Gutted: Seized arrack and liquor bottles stocked in the Excise Department godown in Mysore were destroyed in a fire on Friday.
Gutted: Seized arrack and liquor bottles stocked in the Excise Department godown in Mysore were destroyed in a fire on Friday.

Staff Correspondent

One of them belonged to Excise Department

MYSORE: Three godowns in a building on Rama Vilas Road in the city were gutted early on Friday.

Regional Fire Officer, Mysore, Varadarajan told The Hindu that three shops on the ground floor of the building, including a godown of the Excise Department stocked with seized arrack, caught fire around 5 a.m.

Morning walkers spotted smoke billowing out of the shops and alerted the fire force personnel, who rushed to the spot and extinguished the fire.

Apart from the seized arrack and liquor stored in the Excise Department’s godown, borewell cables, electricity cables and pipes stocked in the other two godowns belonging to private companies were destroyed. Two motorcycles parked in one of the godowns were also charred in the incident. The office of the Inspector of Excise situated on the first floor of the building is safe. “But, the building has suffered damage. It is an old building and cracks have formed in the walls,” he said.

Fire Force Department estimated the loss due to fire to be around Rs. 1.5 lakh. “The seized liquor had not been included in the value of goods lost in the fire,” Mr. Varadarajan said. The cause of fire has been attributed to short-circuit.

The fire force personnel said the fire had the potential to spread to the houses in the vicinity if it had not been contained swiftly. The presence of combustible material such as liquor and arrack in the godowns that had caught fire presented a major threat to the houses nearby.

“Fortunately, we were alerted in time to bring the fire under control. It could have proved disastrous had the fire broke out in the middle of the night and people had spotted it after a long time,” Mr. Varadarajan said.

Meanwhile, in another incident, a drug store in Shivarampet caught fire on Thursday night and medicines kept inside the shop were destroyed. The cause of fire has been attributed to short-circuit.

More In: KARNATAKA | NATIONAL

O
P
E
N

close

Recent Article in KARNATAKA

Jayprakash Sarda showing his collection of documents on Gandhi.— Photo: Bhagya Prakash K.

He owns a treasure of Gandhi memorabilia

For the city-based businessman Jayprakash Sarda’s (42), collecting memorabilia connected to Mahatma Gandhi has been a passion since he wa... »