Staff Correspondent

MANGALORE: The Kudmul Ranga Rao Memorial Hostel, managed by the Department of Social Welfare, at P.V.S junction here, is in the news for all the wrong reasons.

Two girl students drank kerosene at the hostel late on Monday. They are being treated at a hospital here.

Confirming the incident, A.M. Kunjappa, chief executive officer of the Dakshina Kannada Zilla Panchayat, said that he had sought a report from T.S. Thimappa of the District Social Welfare, and Mr. Thimappa had briefed him about the incident.

Mr. Thimappa said the girls Shakuntala, hailing from Kokkada and studying in the ninth standard at Besant School, and Pavithra, a ninth standard student studying in Srinivasa Patashala from Mudigere in Chikmagalur consumed kerosene stored in the hostel.

He said that the department had taken up painting work at the hostel, and the students had managed to lay their hands on the kerosene brought by the painters.

The hostel warden immediately shifted the students to hospital, Mr. Thimappa said, adding that they were out of danger. The jurisdictional police have obtained statements from the students, he said. Mr. Thimappa said that he would submit a report to the CEO in a few days.

Beena, a ninth standard student staying at the hostel, died of malaria-related complications recently.

More In: KARNATAKA | NATIONAL