Minister lays foundation stone for doubling of line at Londa
Union Minister for Railways Mallikarjun Kharge has said the State government should make honest efforts to get clearance from the Ministry of Environment and Forests for the second phase of the doubling of the railway line between Hospet and Vasco da gama.
Speaking to presspersons after laying the foundation stone for the doubling of the Tinaighat-Hospet line, Mr. Kharge said environmental clearance was required for the 97-km stretch in the Tinaighat and Vasco da gama section, which would be taken up in the second phase. “Under the second phase, survey work on the 71-km stretch in the non-forest area has been completed. The survey of the 26-km long stretch between Castle Rock and Kulem is underway,” he said.
Mr. Kharge said financial assistance had been secured from Asian Development Bank for the Rs. 928.85 crore phase I work between Hospet and Tinaighat, and Rs. 300 crore had been released so far. “Once the work is completed, the second installment of Rs. 300 crore will be released. The first phase is likely to be completed by December 15,” he said.
Mr. Kharge underscored the need for the State government to expedite the land acquisition process for railway projects and added the Ministry was ready to give the compensation fixed by the court of law. He said priority would be given for completion of the Kolar-Chikkaballapur, Hassan-Sakleshpur-Chikmagalur and Bidar-Gulbarga railway lines.