Construction workers took out a procession here on Monday, urging the district administration to end the impasse on the sand issue and provide them work.
They marched from J.K. Grounds to the Deputy Commissioner's office.
The protesters said they were without work for the last month because of unavailability of sand. Their interests should not be neglected in the standoff between the district administration and the Mysore Lorry Owners' Association, G. Siddaraju, president of the Bharatamatha Kattada Karmikara Sangha, which led the protest, said.
He urged the Government to ensure supply of sand in a manner that satisfied all stakeholders. Let the administration issue permits through the Public Works Department, but ensure that there was enough sand available so that construction work could go on, he said.
Mr. Siddaraju, who is a mason, said there were over 35,000 construction workers in Mysore district who were without work since the confusion over the sand policy. A mason was paid up to Rs. 320 a day, while a construction worker earned up to Rs. 220 a day, and women workers up to Rs. 140 a day, he said. The workers could not take up alternative jobs as they knew little else. Besides, they would not be allowed to work as coolies at Santepete or the railway station because of the objections raised by the unions there, he added. Mr. Siddaraju urged the district administration to ensure that the workers got additional quantity of foodgrains at ration shops till the issue was resolved. A representative of the district administration received a memorandum from the workers.