He paid the price for trusting a neighbourhood trader
The worms were dead in 30 minutes after applying the powder The bag contained chemical that expired four years ago
Kolar: A sericulturist at Dimba village in Kolar taluk has suffered loss of Rs. 40,000 because of death of silk worms.
He alleged that the silk worms died after he applied spurious chemical.
Gowdar Narayanappa said he applied bed disinfectant powder on silkworm on Friday but was shocked to see about 90 per cent of the worms dead within half an hour.
He said he had bought "Vijetha" brand of disinfectant powder from a shop in Kolar. He found that the trader had sold him the chemical that expired four years ago.
"The loss is unbearable", Mr. Narayanappa told The Hindu with tears in his eyes.
Senior officials from Department of Sericulture rushed to the village on a complaint by Karnataka Prantha Raitha Sangha (KPRS) taluk president Holur Shankar. "The death of silkworms is the result of spurious chemicals," said B. Borayya, Bangalore divisional joint director of the Sericulture Department.
As the loss was caused by supply of duplicate inputs, the trader should compensate the farmer, Mr. Borayya said.
Several agencies dealing with chemicals and pesticides had been served notices to stop supplying spurious chemicals and fertilisers, K.B. Shanthamurthy, Deputy Director of Sericulture, Kolar, said.
Samples for testing
Officers have seized the chemicals and dead worms for testing.
Mr. Shankar said this could be only a tip of an iceberg. Many farmers could fall prey to such illegal activities, he said and urged the authorities to arrest the guilty trader.