The government has issued a shoot order to eliminate the tiger that has killed three people in the periphery of the Bandipur national park.

Making an announcement during Zero Hour in the Legislative Council on Wednesday, Minister for Forests B. Ramanath Rai said the government is convinced that the tiger is a “man-eater” and has decided to issue a shoot order “under the wildlife norms”.

An operation has been launched to trace the tiger. Services of trained Kumki elephants from the Thithimathi forest, 25 forest officials and 50 experts from the Special Tiger Conservation Project has been pressed into operation. The police are also joining the special operation.

He said the tiger had been sighted thrice and tranquilizers were fired. But an attempt to trap the animal failed. A search operation has been on from November 30.

Given the distance between Nagarahole and Bandipur forest ranges, Mr. Rai said there might be more than one tiger that is attacking humans. “Cameras have been installed,” he added. A search team, headed by tiger specialist Sanat has combed 10 km of forest.

Principal Chief Conservator of Forests (Wild Life) and Principal Secretary, Forests, are camping in Bandipur and overseeing the operation, he said.

More In: KARNATAKA | NATIONAL