The newly started Yeshwanthpur-Karwar night train (16517/18) arrived here on Thursday at 2.30 p.m. Passengers and crew members of the train were given a rousing reception.

The train, which was running between Yeshwanthpur and Kannur, was bifurcated in Mangalore and extended to Karwar after a High Court directive the Railways.

The train was welcomed by the people, including members of the West Coast Rail Yatri Development Committee, at Bhatkal on Thursday when it entered Uttara Kannada district from Udupi. Similar reception was held at the railway stations in Kumta, Ankola and Karwar. The train’s arrival at Karwar marks the culmination of a nearly three-year-long struggle of the people of the region for it.

The train, which left Yeshwanthpur at 8.05 p.m. on Wednesday, took 16 hours to reach Karwar, Konkan Railway officials said. The Railways had announced that train 6517 which left Yeshwanthpur on Wednesday night, would proceed towards Kannur with five coaches while the bifurcated train would move towards Karwar as train 16523/16524 with 13 coaches.

The rail connectivity between Karwar and Yeshwanthpur was the result of the struggle of the people of the region, according to Jagadeesh Birkodikar, secretary of Karwar Railway Users’ Association.

During the inter-zonal time-table conference of the Railways in Bangalore in January 2009, it was decided to extend the train, which till then was running only between Yeshwanthpur and Mangalore Central.

But the train was later extended up to Kannur instead of Karwar. With the Railways rejecting a proposal to split the train at Mangalore and run some coaches to Karwar, the committee and others filed a petition in the High Court. The court recently ordered the Railways to consider the demand to bifurcate the train.

People of the region have expressed satisfaction over extension of train to Karwar.

The first train service from Karwar to Yeshwanthpur left at 3 p.m. on Thursday.

  • People happy with extension of night train to Karwar

  • First service from Karwar left

    at 3 p.m.