Staff Correspondent

Leader says encroachment drive in Raichur not being carried out properly

‘Deputy Commissioner under heavy pressure'

Court order violated, says State sangha chief

Raichur: The Karnataka Rajya Raitha Sangha (KRRS) will organise a protest rally in the second week of June demanding that the district administration remove all encroachments on public land in Raichur city, impartially.

Speaking to presspersons here on Saturday, R. Manasaiah, president of the State unit of the sangha, said the district administration, which had undertaken an encroachment clearance drive, had, however, failed to implement a court order. In its recent order, the Supreme Court had directed the district administration to clear all encroachments made upon public land, including structures in public gardens.

He said Deputy Commissioner V. Anbu Kumar had recently swung into action to clear encroachments in some parts of the city and the people had also welcomed this initiative.

But the district administration had not implemented the court order in letter and spirit.

He said the administration had limited encroachment removal to structures upon footpaths and drains. This had affected petty vendors and small business owners. The administration had also proposed to remove all other encroachments, including unauthorised buildings on the moat area around the historical fort, on public gardens and on revenue and forest land, but stopped short of going through with the initiative owing to various reasons.

Alleging that the Deputy Commissioner was under pressure from some influential persons, Mr. Manasaiah said the administration was silent on not demolishing properties belonging to powerful persons.

In fact, the administration had identified 1,600 acres of public land in and around the city which had been encroached upon by some influential people.

It recently served notices on such people, asking them to vacate the land, but no further action had been taken.

Mr. Manasaiah also alleged that the district administration had failed to utilise funds released under the Chief Minister's Small and Medium Towns Development Programme.

The Raichur city municipality had received Rs. 30 crore under the programme last year for development works in the city, but the district administration planned to “misuse” the funds for restoration of facilities in some areas where encroachments had been cleared.

More In: KARNATAKA | NATIONAL