The Energy Department has issued notices to private firms that have blocked land, but have not set up plants to generate power from wind, solar and hydro and co-generation sources.
Addressing presspersons here on Monday, Minister for Energy D.K. Shivakumar said private firms had obtained licences from the government over the last few years to generate 12,843 MW of power from various sources such as wind, solar and hydro. But these firms have generated only 2,429 MW of power. “Some firms have blocked lands and have not set up plants”, he said.
The Energy Department has issued notices to firms seeking explanation for the delay in the setting up power plants.
Permission to set up plants would be withdrawn if they failed to respond properly to notices, Mr. Shivakumar warned.
Earlier, during the Bharatiya Janata Party government regime, the then Power Minister K.S. Eshwarappa had issued similar statements and threatened to withdraw permission to firms which had not commenced the process of power generation.
The Minister embarked on a three-day tour to Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan and Maharashtra on Monday to study the implementation of solar projects in those States and evolve ideas to formulate the State solar policy.
Visit to Nagpur
Mr. Shivakumar said he would visit Nagpur where the State’s quota of coal had been allocated. The Minister was accompanied by senior officials of the department.