Staff Correspondent

The group of four naxalites included a woman

  • The naxalite group had four members
  • There were no injuries or casualty in the incident

    Dasikan (Udupi district.): A group of naxalites and members of the Anti-Naxalite Force (ANF) exchanged fire here on Thursday.

    Inspector-General of Police (Western Range) H.N. Satyanarayana Rao told presspersons here that the police began combing the area on getting information about naxalite activities there. Between 6.45 a.m. and 7 a.m. on Thursday, the police spotted a group of four naxalites, including a woman, in the dense jungles at Dasikan. The group opened fire at the police inviting retaliation. There were about 20 members in the police team.

    The naxalites later escaped into the dense forests of the Western Ghats. There were no injuries or casualty in the incident.

    The police recovered a torch and a handkerchief from the spot.

    After the exchange of fire, combing had been intensified in the nearby areas. A dog squad had been pressed into service. The Shimoga police had been alerted on the movement of naxalites, Mr. Rao said.

    He said that normally the naxalites travelled in groups of eight or ten members. But this group had only four members. May be the team had come to collect information or for some other purpose. Members of Annaiah Naik's family at Dasikan, an area frequented by naxalites, told the police that they did not have any information about them.

    Answering a question, Mr. Rao said it was difficult to say if the exchange of fire had anything to do with the third anniversary of the encounter between the naxalites and the police at Eedu in Karakala taluk of Udupi district on November 17, 2003. They might have been preparing for doing something to mark the Eedu encounter. The police were fully prepared, he said.

    Mr. Rao said all police stations in sensitive areas had been alerted. The police and ANF were working closely.

    Superintendent of Police (ANF) for Udupi district Subash Gudimani had been attached to Superintendent of Police of Udupi A. Subramanyeswara Rao.