Inquiry officer to be appointed to submit report

Mysore district in-charge Minister S.A. Ramdas on Tuesday ordered the suspension of two officials of the Government Ayurveda Medical College and Hospital here for dereliction of duty and other lapses after conducting a surprise visit in the morning.

Mr. Ramdas told presspersons at the hospital, which is over a century old, that the in-charge secretary of the hospital, Thimmappa Gowda, and another official, Nagamma, would be suspended with immediate effect.

Of the 96 doctors and paramedical staff at the hospital, 22 were found to be absent on Tuesday. They had been served with show-cause notices. He did not want to suspend them as they would get half a month's salary while sitting idle. Mr. Ramdas said he would cut an increment each as well as their salary after hearing from them.

Certain doctors working on contract were also found to be absent during the Minister's visit. The Minister said he would write to the Director of AYUSH to initiate disciplinary action against them. He wondered how a 250-bed hospital could have just over 140 inpatients. However, a few doctors were seen attending to outpatients. An inquiry officer would be posted to the hospital to ascertain how many outpatients were treated at the hospital in the past year. If any doctor was found not attending to patients, disciplinary action would be initiated. The Minister had also received complaints on the poor quality of food being supplied to patients.

Rice, which was supposed to have been distributed to holders of BPL cards, was found in the godown of the hospital and was seized, Mr. Ramdas said. In place of the 16 kg of vegetables expected to be used at the hospital every day, only 10 kg of cut vegetables was found. The inquiry officer would submit a report to him within a month, Mr. Ramdas said. He had also received complaints from patients who came for nature cure and ‘panchakarma' treatments, who were made to wait for hours.

The Minister said he was sure that the Principal and the surgeon were not on good terms and as a result not a single operation had been performed at the hospital in the past year. A notice seeking an explanation had been served to the Principal. Mr. Ramdas said he was committed to giving the hospital a facelift.

Efforts would be made to post a Chief Medical Officer, he said.

  • 22 staff were found to be absent on Tuesday
  • Committed to giving the hospital a facelift: Ramdas