Work on the staff quarters and the students' hostels is nearing completion
Department to call for tenders to implement work on second phase of the project Second phase includes construction of auditorium, third floor to fifth floor of the college building
RAICHUR: The civil works at the Government Medical College in Raichur is nearing completion and the first phase of the building will be ready by December. The college is expected to start functioning next academic year.
Deputy Commissioner Tushar Girinath told presspersons here on Tuesday that most of the civil works on the college, including staff quarters and the students' hostels, were nearing completion and the first phase of the project would be ready by December.
He said the concerned department had spent Rs.14 crore and another Rs. 2 crore, including Rs. 1 crore, for procuring equipment. The department had to call for tenders to implement work on the second phase of the project at an estimated cost of Rs. 21.11 crore, which included construction of an auditorium, third floor to fifth floor of the college building, second floor to fifth floor of the staff quarters and the hostel buildings. In addition, the Government had acquired land near the medical college to construct a separate block connected to the upgradation of the old civil hospital.
He said the Government had appointed a principal for the medical college. Many doctors had evinced interest to join the college as teachers following the completion of civil works on the main building.
On the functioning of the OPEC-assisted Rajiv Gandhi Superspeciality Hospital here, he said the hospital was being managed by the State Government and the Apollo Hospital Groups and was aimed at serving people from below poverty line families free of cost. The hospital was providing superspeciality services to people in other districts, including Andhra Pradesh.
He said initially the management faced problems while handling patients belonging to the BPL group owing to confusion in verifying ration cards. The tahsildars of all concerned districts had been asked to verify records of BPL families who were not issued ration cards.
On reports of illegal mining in the district, the Deputy Commissioner said a district vigilance committee, which was formed last year, had been asked to verify records with mining contractors on the validity of permissions given to them to take up mining of granite quarries in the district. He asked the tahsildars to submit a report to him on mining operations in their respective taluks. Action would be taken by the concerned department against illegal mining activities based on reports submitted by the committee.