Uncertainty looms over private firm taking over waste management in Mangalore
The Mangalore City Corporation has extended the tenure of contractors handling solid waste in the city up to November. The extenstioin has cast a shadow over making a private company, chosen nine months ago, to collect and transport the garbage from 60 wards in two packages.
Sources in the civic body said that as the tenure of existing eight contractors ended in August and the new contractor was yet to take charge of the two packages those contractors were given an extension.
On December 5, 2012 the State government approved the bid of Antony Waste Handling Pvt. Ltd., Mumbai to manage solid waste from north zone (29 wards) and south zone (31 wards) under two packages.
Handling the waste from two zones was part of the proposed three-package solid waste management scheme of the civic body. The third package was operation and maintenance of compost plant and sanitary landfill site at Pachchanady.
Delhi-based Unique Waste Processing Company Ltd. took charge of the third package since July 1. But with the Mumbai-based company yet to take charge of the two remaining packages the most systematic way of handling the waste has still not become a reality.
They said that the Mumbai firm had bought some time to take up the contract. It is likely to submit its revised mobility chart next week. The chart would have details of the manpower, machinery and vehicles. It should also detail its plan for collecting solid waste from people’s door steps.
Contractors have to install global positioning system equipment in vehicles transporting solid waste from wards to the dumping yard at Pachchanady. The company selected would have to sweep streets, remove weeds and clean road dividers. Other features of the scheme are elimination of multiple handling of solid waste and compulsory cleaning of beaches at Surathkal, Mukka, Tannirbavi, and Kasba Bengre.
‘Lack of will’
G. Hanumantha Kamath, president, Nagarika Hitarakshana Samiti, said that so far the corporation officials were maintaining that the new company would take charge of the two packages once the term of the eight contractors ended in August. The fact that there is no sign of new system being put in place betrays lack of will on the part of officials.
Tenure of contractors handling solid waste in the city extended up to November Delhi company took over the third package involving maintaining landfill site
Tenure of contractors handling solid waste in the city extended up to November
Delhi company took over the third package involving maintaining landfill site