A major fire was averted at the Apollo BGS Hospital here on Wednesday noon, by the alert hospital staff and fire tenders.
The fire broke out following short-circuit.
Panic-stricken patients and a large number of attendants rushed out of the hospital premises as soon as the news spread. Some hurried out after seeing smoke billowing out of the battery-laden UPS compartment in the hospital.
The alert hospital staff broke open the window panes from the exterior of the building, even as they were joined by the Fire and Emergency Services. A good number of people who were passing by the Adichunchanagiri Road and the New Kantaraje Urs Road too joined in to help.
“A snag in the UPS battery had caused the fire,” said Bharateesh Reddy, general manager of the hospital.
He said the hospital staff took action at the right time to prevent the disaster.
H. Raju, Fire Station Officer, Fire and Emergency Services, Saraswatipuram, who led the operation, said after pumping in carbon dioxide cylinders, water jets were splashed to extinguish the fire from spreading.
The loss could be estimated at around Rs. 5,000.