The police suspect that the blaze was caused by a short circuit
Computers, stationery and furniture were destroyed Currency notes in the strength room safe
MYSORE: A major fire broke out at the main branch of the State Bank of Mysore at Laskhar Mohalla here on Friday, disrupting transactions.
The cause of the fire is being ascertained.
The police suspect that a short circuit might have caused the blaze. The Fire Department and the police will conduct a joint inquiry to ascertain the cause.
Some constables at the Lashkar Police Station located opposite the branch noticed the fire around 10 minutes past midnight, and alerted the Fire Department.
Firemen from Saraswathipuram and Bannimantap rushed to the spot and doused the blaze. But the fire caused enough damage. Computers, stationery and furniture were destroyed.
While the loss is yet to be ascertained, senior officials of the bank said the customer data is intact as it is saved in the main server in Mumbai.
The bank has introduced core-banking system and it will not hamper customer transaction as they can operate from any of its branches. The fire did not damage currency notes kept in the strength room, they added.