The former Minister has stated that the PKP company yard did not belong to his family
Forest authorities had seized iron ore worth Rs. 28 crore from the company yard Political friends and well-wishers express solidarity with Shivakumar
Bangalore: Chief Minister H.D. Kumaraswamy, armed with documentary evidence in the possession of the Government,on Thursday said that the PKP company which provided storage yard to the iron ore companies owned by the former Minister D.K. Shivakumar was a front for the former Minister's activities.
The forest authorities seized iron ore worth around Rs. 28 crore from the PKP company yard and this triggered rumours since Wednesday that the arrest of some family members of Mr. Shivakumar was imminent.
The former Minister, however, stated that the PKP company yard did not belong to his family. Meanwhile, rumours were rife that warrants had been obtained by the authorities for the arrest of some family members of Mr. Shivakumar. For the second consecutive day, a large group of political friends and well-wishers called on Mr. Shivakumar at his residence and expressed their solidarity.
Mr. Kumaraswamy, at a press conference here on Thursday, sought to disprove the claims made by Mr. Shivakumar and said Suvi Granites represented by D.K. Suresh (brother of Mr. Shivakumar) had entered into an agreement with P.K. Pounraj of PKP company.
The agreement was entered into on March 3, 2005. Suvi Granites was one of the eight mining companies owned by Mr. Shivakumar and his family members.
Bellary Staff Correspondent reports:
No arrest warrant or non-bailable warrants were issued by the Judicial Magistrate First Class, Sandur, against Ms. Usha Shivakumar, Mr. Suresh and 12 others accused in the case of illegal mining registered by the forest mobile squad, Bellary, on November 14, according to sources here. They told The Hindu that the court had remanded three persons in judicial custody till November 25. The prosecution had filed objections to the bail application moved by them which would come up for hearing on November 18. This apart, the court had not issued any arrest warrant or non-bailable warrant against the other accused.
Rajashekaran, Deputy Conservator of Forests, Mobile squad, said that around 20 companies that had obtained permission from the Government to lift the dump ore from the mines of Mysore Minerals Limited at Subrayanahalli, had allegedly been transporting quality grade iron ore from MML in connivance with MML staff and stored it at the PKP yard at Nadihalli in violation of all rules and regulations of the Forest and Mines and Geology departments.
Many of these companies were not registered either with the Commercial Tax Department or the Registrar of Companies and were alleged to be illegally exporting the ore through a few other companies causing revenue loss of about Rs. 40 crore to the Government, Mr. Rajashekaran said.