Kidnappings: tension in Tilak Nagar

print   ·   T  T  
POLICE ACTION: A man being taken into custody in Tilak Nagar which witnessed violence on Friday. Photo: V. Sreenivasa Murthy
POLICE ACTION: A man being taken into custody in Tilak Nagar which witnessed violence on Friday. Photo: V. Sreenivasa Murthy

Staff Reporter

People indulged in stone throwing protesting against the slow pace of investigation

BANGALORE: Tension prevailed in Tilak Nagar on Friday when people stoned buildings and vehicles over the alleged failure of the police in arresting the persons supposed to have been involved in the kidnapping of two girls.

The situation eased after the police said they had found one girl and that three persons allegedly involved in the kidnapping had been taken into custody.

Around 2.30 p.m. people came out of a place of worship angered over a rumour that the girl, who had been kidnapped four days ago, had died in a hospital.

People began stoning houses, shops and vehicles.

20 hurt

Around 20 people sustained minor injuries.

Senior police officials, including Additional Commissioner of Police (Law and Order) Bipin Gopalakrishna and Deputy Commissioner of Police (South) Alok Kumar, arrived at the spot with forces.

The officials held talks with the agitators and explained to them the action taken.

But the people were in no mood to listen to the assurances of the police officials that the girl who had been rescued was safe. The agitated people insisted that the police officers produce before them the girl and the three persons.

However, the police officers refused.

Action sought

At the Tilak Nagar station, people whose houses were vandalised gathered and demanded action against the guilty persons. The police had to resort to a mild lathi-charge to disperse the crowd. Eight days ago, a complaint was lodged with the Tilak Nagar police that a 15-year-old girl was missing.

The girl's relatives alleged that she had been taken away by some boys belonging to another community.

Three days ago, another complaint was filed that a 16-year-old girl had been kidnapped. The alleged slow pace of investigation of the two cases was brought to the notice of a senior police official.

As per his direction, the first case was registered as that of kidnapping and the investigation of both cases was entrusted to different inspectors. The police rescued the 16-year-old girl and she was sent for medical examination. The family of the girl did not know this action of the police.

Mr. Kumar said the police were awaiting the medical reports. They had taken three persons into custody.

About the case of the 15-year-old girl, he said that the police had clues about where she had been taken.




Recent Article in KARNATAKA

A survey notes that 36 per cent of children in Bengaluru have either ‘poor’ or ‘bad’ lung capacity which is a result of rising air pollution.— Photo: K. Murali Kumar

Barely one in 10 children unaffected by air quality

KSPCB chief recommends drastically reducing the rate of new vehicle registration »