Home Guards District Commandant and Deputy Commandant allegedly sexually assaulted a female Home Guard between September 2012 and May 2013.

In her complaint, the woman accused District Commandant Nidarsh Hegde and Deputy Commandant Purushottam of sexual assault between September 2012 and May 2013. She had been working in the office of the District Commandant since May 2006 and was removed from work in May 2013.

Kavoor police have registered a case under section 354 (assault to outrage modesty of a woman) and 504 (intentional insult) of the Indian Penal Code and under the provisions of the Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe (prevention of atrocities) Act.

In the Scheduled Caste Scheduled Tribe grievance meet she also accused Mr. Hegde of mentally harassing her.

Denying the allegations, Mr. Hegde said the woman had filed complaint in May accusing Deputy Commandant of mental harassment that was investigated by Assistant Commissioner of Police. Since filing the complaint she failed to report to duty, he said. Mr. Hegde said his post was honorary and he was in no way connected with the work of the woman. The complaint had been filed with an intention to deny him another five-year team as the district commandant, he said.

One held over murder

The police have arrested one person in connection with a murder that took place at the UPCL labour colony at Padebettu village near Padubdiri on August 25.

The police said the dead body of Sharanappa from Gangavati taluk in Koppal district was found in room number 6 of UPCL labour colony with his head and face smashed. A case was registered at the Padubidri police station. Three gardeners including the deceased were staying in that room and working at the UPCL company site.

The police arrested roommate of the deceased – Basappa Durgappa Mastamardi from Yarjarvi village, Savadatti taluk, Belgaum district – from Goknak Panchanayakana Hatti on September 10.

Another accused Sangayya is absconding. The police said they had consumed alcohol and quarrelled over cooking food, which led to the murder. Durgappa was brought before the court in Udupi on Wednesday and remanded to judicial custody for 15 days.

Illegal gun arrest

Three persons were arrested for illegally carrying a single barrel breech loading (SBBL) gun at Mala village under the Karkala Rural Police Station limits on September 10.

The police said three persons Sanjeeva, Ganesh and Vishwanath were illegally ferrying a SBBL gun in a car. They were arrested by the officials of the Forest Department at Mulloor Forest Check Post at around 6.30 p.m. on September 10 and handed over the to the Karkala rural police for further investigation.

A case had been registered at the Karkala rural police station and further investigations were on, the police said.

Case against contractor

A 23-year-old labourer from Odisha died after she fell down from the first floor of a commercial complex being constructed near the Corporation Bank’s head office in Pandeshwar. The Mangalore South police said Shantula was seriously injured after her fall from the under-construction complex on Tuesday evening. Shantula died late on Tuesday night. The police said they have take up a case of negligence against contractor Shashidar Rai and sub-contractor Gopala Krishna.

Chain snatched

Two motorcycle-borne men snatched gold chain worth Rs. 80,000 from a woman in Polali in Bajpe police station limits on Wednesday. The Bajpe police said the thieves targeted Bharati when she was returning home with her child after visiting the temple around 4 p.m. Thieves snatched her gold chain and sped away. Police are on the look-out for the accused.


Body of a 70-year-old woman from Valpady village was found in a lake near her house in Moodbidri police station limits on Wednesday. The police said Sheela was taking care of her mentally ill daughter. She was mentally disturbed over her daughter’s condition for the last few days. This might have led her to suicide, the police said. Residents found her body in the lake on Wednesday morning.


A 17-year-old girl rescued from Mangalore City Railway Station on September 5 has gone missing from the Government Wenlock Hospital on Wednesday.

According to a complaint, the girl was housed in Prajna Counselling Centre after her rescue on the orders of the Child Welfare Committee. On Wednesday, the Centre’s personnel took the girl and another inmate for medical examination to the Government Wenlock Hospital. The girl went missing when the other girl was taken inside for examination. The girl hailed from B.R. Nagar in Bantwal, the police said.