The petitioners wanted width of the road to be 45 metres

A single-judge bench of the Karnataka High Court has dismissed four writ petitions which had challenged the government's action of acquiring land for widening the National Highway No. 66 (formerly NH 17) to 60 metres (right of way) in Dakshina Kannada and Udupi districts.

The orders were passed on October 17.

Challenge

Official sources told The Hindu that some people from both the districts had approached the court challenging the land acquisition in more than 10 villages in the two districts for widening the highway to 60 metres (right of way) . They wanted the highway to be widened to 45 metres and acquire land only to that extent.

The National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) had taken up the widening of the highway stretch between Kundapur and Surathkal and Nanthoor Junction and Talapady under phase III of the National Highways Development Project (NHDP) under build, operate, and transfer (BOT) basis.

The writ petitions 41809/2010 (Ms. Bernadette Fernandes and 10 others); 27610/2010 (K. Mukunda Bhat and 17 others); 11377/2011 (U. M. Abdul Khader and 130 others); and 9110/2011 (Naveen Kumar Shetty and 20 others) had been dismissed, sources said.

The website of Karnataka High Court mentions the status of the four writ petitions as “dismissed' and the “case disposed''.

The petitioners had challenged the land acquisition in Nanthoor, Tekkatte, Saligrama Moodahadu, Karkada, Talapady, Ullal, Thokkottu, Permannur, Kotekar, Someshwar, Maroli, Kadri, and Mangalore villages for widening the highway to 60 metres (right of way).

Sources said while dismissing the four writ petitions, the High Court had taken into account the ruling of the Supreme Court in the case of Union of India vs. Dr. Kushala Shetty and others and had relied on other judgements of Madras High Court and other High Courts.

They said the petitioners had the option of approaching the Division Bench of the High Court.

Sources said that six more writ petitions challenging the land acquisition for the Kundapur-Surathkal-Nanthoor Junction-Talapady project were pending before the High Court.


  • High Court passes the orders on October 17
  • Six more petitions challenging land acquisition pending

  • More In: KARNATAKA | NATIONAL