Correspondent

‘Food poisoning or contaminated drinking water may be the cause’

Chamarajanagar: One person died and more than 20 people from Uthavalli village in Chamarajanagar taluk were admitted to the Chamarajanagar Government Hospital on Sunday with suspected gastroenteritis. Of the people admitted to the hospital, Megha (9) was shifted to K.R. Hospital, Mysore, as her condition was stated to be serious. Mahadevaiah (55), who was discharged from hospital on Saturday after being treated for diarrhoea, was admitted again on Saturday night after his condition deteriorated. Doctors at the district hospital advised his relatives to take him to K.R. Hospital, Mysore. But he died on the way.

The residents of the village alleged that Mahadeviah would not have died had the doctors not discharged him on Saturday.

The health authorities suspect that the outbreak may be due to food poisoning and consumption of contaminated drinking water. But some residents said that the palm oil obtained from fair price shops was to blame. A sample of the drinking water has been sent to a laboratory for analysis.

Puttarangashetty, Chamarajanagar MLA, and the former Minister M. Mahadev visited the village and reviewed the situation. They instructed the health authorities to take preventive measures.

The residents in various areas have alleged that the gram panchayat’s apathy towards maintaining hygiene in the villages is one of the reasons for the outbreak of diarrhoea. They alleged that the drains were not cleaned and sewage had collected near drinking water pipelines.

However, after the outbreak of diarrhoea, the gram panchayat has taken steps to clean the water tank and sprayed insecticide near the drains.

More In: KARNATAKA | NATIONAL