St. Joseph's is one of the six colleges to get autonomous status
Bangalore: Founded in 1882 by a French priest Rev. Fr. Maurice Vissac to impart education to a small Catholic community, St. Joseph's College, 125 years later, has grown to become the largest science college affiliated in Bangalore University.
St. Joseph's was affiliated to Madras University until 1937, when an agreement between the Bishop of Mysore and the Society of Jesus transferred the management of the college to Jesuits, who transformed it into a leading institution.
An astronomical laboratory was built that lent the old college its distinctive appearance and underscored its growing focus on sciences. In the 1950s came the laboratory for Biology Department in response to the growing interest in medicine, followed by botany and zoology laboratories. Five years ago, the college expanded and moved its campus from Residency Road to Lalbagh Road to give an impetus to higher education in Sciences and Humanities. About 2,500 students now study at St. Joseph's.
St. Joseph's College collaborates with research and science institutes in the city and has become an important centre of activity for academics, activists and cultural personalities alike.
It was declared a "college of potential excellence" in 2004, and last year became one of six colleges to be declared autonomous.