Hassan SP tells people not to get carried away by rumours; 24-hour patrolling to continue
HASSAN: The city heaved a sigh of relief on Monday when the Friday prayers at the Hosaline Road Masjid went off peacefully. The Rapid Action Force personnel were deployed at the place of worship.
Hassan was agog with rumours of a possible flare-up on Thursday when an attempt was made by two persons to set ablaze a car on M.G. Road. The driver, who was nearby, prevented the miscreants from smashing the glass panels by chasing them away. There were also rumours that two people had been stabbed on Salagame Road in the evening.
Superintendent of Police K.V. Sharatchandra has appealed to the people not to be carried away by rumours. As a precautionary measure, all business establishments, hotels and bars closed by 9 p.m. on Thursday. Action would be taken against people spreading rumours, he said.
The RAF team was provided accommodation in a marriage hall since Tuesday. On Thursday, the hall management requested them to vacate the place as an event was to be held. The personnel were virtually on the streets for a few hours after which alternative arrangements were made.
Mr. Sharatchandra said that as on Friday, 71 people had been arrested and sent to Mysore and Bellary jails. Search was on for many others.
He said 24-hour patrolling would continue for some more days to instil confidence in the people.