A fire broke out at a paint shop and godown in Basaveshwarnagar early on Monday, destroying material worth lakhs of rupees. Nobody was injured in the fire. Paints, thinner, furniture and hardware items were among those items that went up in flames at M.K. Marketing, a shop in the building Rajathadri Nilaya, owned by Mansuk Lal Jain. Officials estimated the value of the destroyed goods at Rs. 70 lakh.
Fire officials said they received a call from a passerby a little after 5 a.m. It took 15 fire tenders about four hours to douse the flames.
They believe a short circuit triggered the fire, but are also considering the possibility that lamps lit for Deepavali puja on Sunday evening caused it. Mr. Jain denied that any lamps were left burning after the prayers.
In November last year, there was a similar fire at a godown of Berger Paints Ltd. off Hosur Road.