The validity of the State Film Awards announced for 2010-11 is uncertain as the Karnataka High Court on Thursday asked the State government to tell the court by Friday whether it [government] would like to withdraw the awards and reconsider the films by constituting a new advisory committee on film awards.
Justice Ram Mohan Reddy issued the direction orally during hearing of petitions filed by film producer Basant Kumar Patil and actor Priya Hassan questioning the validity of the recommendations for awards made by the advisory committee on film awards. The awards for 2010-11 are yet to be presented as the High Court in July last year stayed presentation of the awards announced in April 2012.
The petitioners had contended that the three members in the committee — Ashok Kashyap, Hema Choudhary and Ishwar Daitota — either directly or indirectly were linked with some films considered for the awards.
It was pointed out that this was in violation of Section 3(2)(c) of the Karnataka State Awards for Feature Film Rules 1984.
The court said that prima facie the advisory committee contained a few members in violation of the rules as contended in the petitions. The court said that it would pass orders on Friday if the government failed to submit its stance by then.