Staff Correspondent

There were a number of mistakes in voters’ list,

says official

MYSORE: A day after widespread public outbursts against faulty voters’ list, Deputy Commissioner N.S. Channappa Gowda, who is also the District Election Officer, sent the names of four officials, including the tahsildar, to the State Election Commission (SEC) holding them responsible for the lapse.

The faulty list was attributed as the reason for poor turnout in Friday’s elections to Mysore City Corporation. “We have identified the people responsible for the lapse and their names have been sent to the SEC for suitable action. It is up to the commission to decide about the action,” Mr. Gowda told The Hindu. Admitting that there had been complaints about missing names in the voters’ list, which was revised a few months ago, the Deputy Commissioner said the tahsildar, enumerator, supervisor and the official who checked and found the revised list correct had been found responsible for the lapse.

“It has been found that the list was not done correctly. There were a number of mistakes in it. Many voters returned home without casting votes after finding their names missing from the list. Even the names of many prominent citizens were found missing. Based on these complaints, we have recommended action against the four officials,” Mr. Gowda said.

Mr. Gowda said a separate inquiry was being conducted over the issue of missing of names of over 700 voters of Shivapura from the list.

More In: KARNATAKA | NATIONAL