Some 20 passengers had a close shave when the Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation bus, bound for Jalahalli, caught fire in front of Yeshwantpur depot on Thursday afternoon.

The driver stopped the vehicle immediately on noticing the smoke from the engine and asked the passengers to leave.

“A short circuit in the engine sparked the fire,” said a Yeshwantpur bus depot official.

Yeshwantpur Inspector M.L. Purushotham said there were no injuries.

Fire tenders rushed to the spot and put out the fire. As precautionary measures the police summoned the dog squad to check for possible sabotage.

More In: KARNATAKA | NATIONAL