Raviprasad Kamila

MANGALORE: The uncertainty over the construction of a bypass at Mulky on National Highway 17 while upgrading the stretch between Kundapur and Talapady into four lanes under phase 3 of the National Highways Development Project (NHDP) seems to have cleared.

The “competent authority for land acquisition” has, after allowing the preliminary notification issued on August 28, 2008 for acquiring land in Karnad and Bappanadu villages for the bypass to lapse, again issued a notification. The latest notification was published in the Gazette of India on April 12 as well as two newspapers on May 14, 2010.

Official sources told The Hindu that the the August 2008 notification had been allowed to lapse owing to “political pressure”. A section of people who had been opposing the construction of the bypass wanted the Government to build a flyover at Mulky. Their contention was that a temple structure at Mulky would be affected by the bypass. However, the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI)has stated that the temple structure would not be affected. Now, it appears that the NHAI will go ahead with the bypass proposal as Chief Minister B.S. Yeddyurappa has also favoured it.

A letter by the Principal Secretary, Department of Public Works, Ports and Inland Water Transport, to A.K. Mathur, Chief General Manager, NHAI, Bangalore, on May 18, also makes it clear. The letter said that the Chief Minister had agreed to the construction of bypasses at Mulky and also at Padubidri.

Sources in the NHAI said that the proposed bypass at Padubidri would be 3.05 km long.

According to the National Highways Act, 1956, preliminary notification issued for acquiring land would lapse if the final notification was not issued within a year.

More In: KARNATAKA | NATIONAL