Special Correspondent

20 per cent seats for children of employees insured by the corporation

ESIC to start 15 medical colleges

in the country

Foundation stone laid for hi-tech ESI Hospital at Peenya

BANGALORE: The Employees’ State Insurance Corporation (ESIC) will soon start a medical college in Bangalore with a portion of the seats reserved for children of employees insured by the corporation.

Laying the foundation stone for a hi-tech ESI Hospital at Peenya here on Tuesday, Union Minister of State for Labour and Employment Oscar Fernandes said the process for starting a medical college had begun with the ESIC submitting an application to the Medical Council of India.

The medical college in Bangalore will be one among the 15 such colleges ESIC will be starting all over the country. The process had been delayed in view of the stipulation that 25 acres of land was required in one plot to start a medical college.

“But, now the rules have been amended. We can have the land spread across in more than one plot,” he said. ESIC has its hospitals at Rajajinagar and Indiranagar, where the cumulative land spread is over 25 acres, and the steps are being taken to establish necessary infrastructure at these places to hold classes.

“To begin with, the intake of students will be around 50 and we will gradually increase it to 100”, Mr. Fernandes said. He said there was a proposal to start postgraduate courses also in 19 subjects in due course of time.

The college would offer courses to produce nurses, anaesthetists and other paramedical staff.

He said the ESIC wished to provide children of employees insured by the corporation a chance to become medical professionals. Hence, 20 per cent of the seats would be set aside for this category while the remaining 80 per cent would be shared equally by applicants from the State and rest of India.

Mr. Fernandes said the ESIC wished to start 50,000 vocational training institutes all over the country in the next 10 to 12 years and had sanctioned 5,000 of them this year.

He said the proposed hi-tech ESIC hospital coming up in Peenya seeks to provide advanced medical facilities to the families of the estimated 4 lakh employees living in Peenya, who are covered under the ESI scheme.

Union Minister of State for Shipping, Road Transport and Highways K H Muniyappa; Minister for Labour B.N. Bacche Gowda; Leader of the Opposition in the Assembly M. Mallikarjun Kharge and Lok Sabha member Tejaswini Gowda besides MLAs N.L. Narendra Babu and M. Srinivas were present on the occasion. Earlier, Director-General of ESIC Prabhat C. Chaturvedi welcomed the gathering.