Many of them have been reduced to a pulp of plastic
Bangalore: For the people of this house, it was indeed a shock treatment when most of the kitchen appliances were reduced to a pulp of plastic owing to high voltage fluctuation on Tuesday.
Speaking to The Hindu , Hema, a resident of 18th `A' Main, J.P. Nagar 2nd Phase, said the residents have been hearing the sound of bursting at around 10 a.m. every day.
"Soon after the burst, there is no electricity till afternoon. This is an everyday occurrence," she said.
She said that the bursts have been a regular occurrence for the past three to four days. "We have gone and complained to the authorities at the local BESCOM (Bangalore Electricity Supply Company) office.
`No action taken'
However, no action has been taken," she said.
Ms. Hema said that on Sunday, a transformer on 26th Main near a bus stop exploded. "Luckily, no one was injured," she said.
It is alleged that those constructing an automobile showroom on BTM Road were drawing excess power.
Their drawing excess power has caused overloading, some people allege. The residence of S. Girish and Suma Girish was the worst affected. Most of the kitchen appliances had been burnt.
"Our neighbours alerted us after they saw smoke coming out of the kitchen window. We rushed home from work only to find that most of the appliances are burnt and half the kitchen covered in soot," Mr. Girish said.
Venkat Shiva Reddy, jurisdictional executive engineer of the BESCOM, said the incident had occurred due to electrical tripping.
"Due to heavy gusts of wind, the trees sway and the branches touch high voltage wires, which causes electrical tripping. When this happens, one can hear the bursting sound," he said.
He said Mr. Girish had submitted a complaint in this regard.
"Our officials visited the area and have inspected the situation. It is due to momentary fault in the line caused by wind," he said.
Asked if the BESCOM would give compensation, he said that that would be decided as per the prescribed procedure.